Western Christian School History
In 1920, the Brethren in Christ Church of Southern California opened a private secondary school, Beulah Academy. By 1935, growth necessitated a move to new facilities. In 1963, the school was reorganized as a non-denominational, not-for-profit organization with the name of Western Christian School, and relocated to Pomona. In 1970, the school moved to the Hillside Campus in Glendora, owned by Azusa Pacific College. The school then moved to Covina in 1980. In 1982, a series of providential events made possible the purchase of our school campus north of Claremont which is our pre K through 8th grade school, thereby changing the corporate school name to Western Christian Schools. In 2009 Western Christian High School secured a permanent home in Upland CA.
Since our founding in 1920, Western Christian High School continues to uphold its mission to provide high school students with a quality education in a Christ-centered community. Recognized throughout the community as a leader in Christian education, Western is a non-denominational, non-sectarian, private high school with the non-profit status. Western Christian Schools serves the most ethnically diverse region in the world, the East San Gabriel Valley in Los Angeles County as well as the West San Bernardino County.
Our Pre School through eighth grade campus is a beautiful campus, easily accessible from the Interstate 10 Freeway and located near the base of the mountains in Claremont.
Our new high school campus , easily accessible from the Interstate 10 Freeway, houses our newly renovated Harold Sider field for Football and Soccer and our own gym for basketball and volleyball. Western excels in male and female CIF sports. Annually, 95% of Western's graduates are accepted to colleges and universities, while more than 60% of our graduates are accepted into four-year colleges.
Presently, our Western Christian High School facility consists of seven buildings consisting of 25 classrooms, a sanctuary, library, ceramics room, and administrative offices. Our ESL high school program, established in 1999 for students with I-20 visas, currently educates almost 50 students from 11 countries at our Glendora campus.