WESTERN CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL
ATHLETICS BOOSTER COMMITTEE
ORGANIZATION AND BY-LAWS
The name of this organization shall be Western Christian High School Athletics Booster Committee (WCHSABC).
The purpose of the organization shall be to provide support for all of the Western Christian High School Athletic programs, raise funds in support of WCHS sports and stimulate active interest among students, parents, faculty, staff and the community at large in support of the aims, purpose, and activities of WCHS athletic program.
1. The membership shall be open to all WCS Board Members, Superintendent, WCHS Administrators, faculty and staff employed by WCS, students, parents, alumni and members of the community at large.
2. Membership Dues shall be as established by the Executive Committee.
Membership of the Committee
The officers of the committee shall be the Chairperson or Chairpersons, Vice Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, Spirit Commissioner, Chaplain, Alumni Coordinator, Athletic Director and Principal.
1. The term of the office shall be two years commencing on April 1 and ending May 31. The first Executive Committee will be elected on or before January 2, 2008, at a meeting duly convened upon notice by the organizers of this committee. This first group of officers shall serve until April 30, 2009, a term of 14 months.
2. Thereafter a Nominating Committee consisting of the Chairperson, the High School Principal, the Athletic Director and two others who shall be appointed by the Chairperson. This committee shall meet in the month of March and prepare a list of officers to be voted upon by the general membership.
3. The newly elected officers shall be presented to the membership at the meeting in April. Upon being sworn into office their duties shall commence immediately.
Meetings of the Committee and Membership
1. Regular meetings of the Booster Committee shall be on the second Monday of each month, upon notice and agenda from the Secretary at least 5 school days before.
2. Emergency meetings of the membership may be called by the Chairperson, the Principal or the Athletic Director upon reasonable notice.
3. Meetings of the newly elected Executive Committee members shall be held at such times as deemed necessary by the Chairperson. A quorum of three-fourths (3/4) must be present to constitute an official meeting.
4. The business to be conducted at any regular meeting shall be as included in the notice thereof. No notice or agenda is required for Executive meetings.
5. Executive meetings may be conducted by telephone or video conference, or other technological means.
6. A written record of all meetings shall be maintained by the Secretary. Copies shall be maintained in procedure manuals by the Secretary, Athletic Director and Chairperson and must be submitted to the Principal within 3 school days following the meeting.
7. Except for the initial Executive Committee which will serve from January 2, 2008 through April 30, 2009, each member elected in April shall serve a two year term and until their successor is elected and qualified.
8. All Executive Committee members must avoid all conflicts of interest. The determination of conflicts shall be in accordance with Biblical principles and generally accepted standards applicable to religious not for profit organizations.
Duties of Officers and sub-committee Chairpersons
1. Chairperson or Co-Chairpersons: The Chairperson(s) shall preside over all meetings, regular and executive, and prepare the agendas for these meetings. The Chairperson shall appoint Chairpersons and Co-Chairpersons of the various committees with the consent of the Executive Committee. He/she shall generally direct and supervise the affairs of the organization while overseeing the duties and responsibilities of the other officers and committee chairpersons. He/she shall be responsible for coordinating with the Principal and Athletic Director in setting, planning and organizing all fund-raising activities, and shall delegate all other tasks and form such other committees as he/she may determine as necessary, limiting the number and duration of the sub-committee.
2. The Chairperson(s) and Athletic Director shall be equally responsible for the compliance with all WCHS policies and procedures, including the Master Calendar.
3. Vice Chairperson: The Vice Chairperson shall perform tasks as assigned by the Chairperson and shall serve in the capacity of the Chairperson when he or she is unable to serve as Chairperson, regardless of the reason therefore.
4. Secretary: The Secretary shall keep minutes of all meetings. The Secretary shall provide copies of the minutes of the previous meeting to each board member and make copies available to the full membership within 3 school days of the meeting. Electronic file copies shall be sent to the Chairperson(s), Athletic Director and the Principal. The Secretary shall keep any handwritten notes taken at any meeting. All notes and files shall be transferred to any succeeding Secretary. The Secretary shall conduct all correspondence of the Booster Committee as directed by the Chairperson(s). The Secretary shall also maintain a current roster of all WCHS teams for the school years during the time the Secretary serves. The Secretary shall also prepare and serve/post all notices of athletic program activities as directed by the Chairperson(s). The Secretary shall also maintain the Booster website as directed by the Chairperson(s).
5. Treasurer and Assistant Treasurer: The treasurer/assistant treasurer may not be a coach or advisor to any of the individual sports of WCHS. They shall work in coordination with the School Administration to keep an accurate account of all receipts by the Athletic Booster Committee. They are to receive and deposit receipts within 24 hours with the accounting office in the high school. All financial activities must follow the procedures as established by Western Christian High School. Approval must be obtained from the Principal and Chief Financial Officer before any fund raising activities are initiated or purchases or commitments made.
6. Before payment, all bills exceeding $100.00 must be approved by the Executive Committee. The Treasurer shall have charge of all monies collected by the Booster Committee and shall deposit said funds into the school’s Booster Account through the finance office within 24 hours of collecting the same. Either the Treasurer or Assistant treasurer must be present at any event where money is being raised or collected and shall institute such methods of collecting and counting the money as required by school policies. In this regard, the Treasurer’s decision is final, subject to the Principal’s approval. All POs or checks are to be countersigned by the Principal.
7. A special financial approval form and report is required for each fundraising event, or any occasion where monies are collected. At the time of these events, the Treasurer will be responsible for gathering the monies taken in. In the event of rule/policy changes coming from the accounting office, such changes shall be followed.
8. Chaplain: The Chaplain will open and close the meetings in prayer. The Chaplain will be responsible for organizing and overseeing the Devotional Program and will take prayer requests from the membership at large.
9. Spirit Commissioner: The Spirit Commissioner will be responsible for promoting the spirit in the school for all athletic events. It is the Spirit Commissioner’s responsibility to organize X-Factor in coordination with the WCHS staff for athletic events.
10. Sub-committee chairpersons: The Chairperson shall designate a chairperson to organize and be in charge of putting on any of the fundraising events. The sub-committee Chairperson shall be responsible for following all WCHS and WCS policies and procedures applicable to fundraising, including obtaining in advance all approvals required before solicitation begins. The subcommittee chair is subject to the direction of the Treasurer/assistant treasurer as to the collection and counting of money. Reconciliation of monies must be done within 24 hours of collection. Within three school days following the event, the subcommittee chair shall file a written summary with the Principal, Athletic Director, Committee Chairperson and the Committee Secretary. Records of each event are too be maintained and turned into the Treasurer and Chairperson at the conclusion of the event.
11. Alumni Coordinator: The Alumni Coordinator shall be responsible for maintaining Committee relations with the Alumni of Western Christian High School. This officer will also be responsible for communicating with Alumni and maintaining an accurate mailing list of all Alumni of the school.
12. Each board member will also have the responsibility of overseeing one fundraising event per year. They shall follow up on the activities of the Sub-committee chairperson and communicate those activities to the Board.
Additional Powers and Duties
Each officer shall have such additional powers and duties as may be directed by the Executive Committee, the Chairperson, the Athletic Director, Principal or these By-Laws which are necessary and proper to carry out the express purposes for which this committee is formed
1. Procedure Manual: A Procedure Manual shall be maintained and updated by each Executive Committee member and passed on to their replacement at the end of their term.
2. Vacancies: Except as provided in Article 5 G above, vacancies on the Executive Committee may be filled by the Chairperson with approval of the Principal. Persons so appointed shall serve until the expiration of the unexpired term.
3. Removal from Office: The Executive Committee may remove any officer from their position, with consent of the Athletic Director and Principal, for good cause shown at a regular or special meeting duly called, noticed, and held. All members of the Executive Committee shall be given special written notice of such proposed action at least 5 days in advance. Such removal may only be effected by the vote of three-quarters of the total number of members then serving.
4. Removal by the Principal may occur if the Principal determines that cause has been shown that continued membership on the Executive Committee is not in the best interest of the school, its children, parents, or athletic program(s).
5. The members of the Executive Committee shall not serve as team liaisons.
6. The members of the Executive Committee will be expected to attend and participate in 75% of all fundraising events.
Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern all proceedings. Further, the presiding officer of the meeting may limit the speaking time of each person on agenda items to make for the orderly and efficient conduct of business. The order of business for each meeting shall be as follows:
1. Call to Order
2. Opening Prayer
3. Roll Call (Silent)
4. Reading of the minutes and correspondence (may be waived by majority vote)
5. Treasurer’s Report
6. Reports of sub-committees
7. Old Business
9. New Business
10. Closing Prayer
Amendments to the By-laws
These By-laws are adopted at the organizational meeting in January 2008. They may only be amended by the affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the membership present at a duly convened meeting on seven school days written notice, which notice must include the language of the proposed amendment and the manner in which the amendment, if adopted, would alter existing procedures.
All proposed amendments must receive advance approval from the Athletic Director and Principal before a meeting is scheduled. To be valid, the meeting notice must contain the comment and signature to affirm that both the Athletic Director and the Principal approved the proposed amendment.
Revised: June 2009