Tryouts for girl's softball and co-ed soccer will be from March 10-12th. If we have enough girls try out we will be able to have a "B" softball team this year - come on out girls!! Hope to see you out there!!
All students have the opportunity to try out for an athletic team however, based on facility limitations, league regulations, and coaching limitations, some teams will need to make cuts.
Here are a few things to keep in perspective regarding tryouts:
1) “ I'm so nervous – I'm not going to try out well!” You are not the only athlete trying out who is nervous!! This is perfectly normal, and coaches are aware that your performance might suffer during tryouts because of nerves. Don't worry about it!! J
2) “Coach doesn't like me so I probably won't make the team.” Our coaches don't “dislike” any of our athletes, in fact quite the contrary. We “dislike” having to make these decisions at all, though we recognize our limitations and realize that tryouts and cuts go with the territory of coaching at a small school. Do your best and have confidence that your coach will make decisions based on what he/she thinks is best for the entire team.
3. “Johnny and Mary will make the team because they are 8 th graders.” Not true!! Teams are selected based on the talent, work ethic, and attitude of individuals, not on what grade they are in. We have had 6 th graders make Gold teams and be impact players on the team. Naturally, 8 th graders have some advantage in sports that require size and speed (football, basketball), but our coaches are not just looking at these attributes. Knowledge and skill at particular sports will trump grade level!
4. “I don't want to try out because I might not make it”. Don't let the fear of what “might” happen stop you from trying out!! Viewed in the proper perspective, tryouts can be a positive experience whether you make the team or not. If you don't make the team, you can ask the coach what you need to work on for the tryout next year. Coaches respect players who persevere, work diligently, and come back to tryouts having confidence in their improvement. Conversely, if you didn't take your coach's advice and didn't put in the work necessary to raise your level of play, don't have false expectations about your success in subsequent tryouts.
5. Please keep in mind that whether you make, or don't make a team does not define who you are as a valued and loved child of God!! Everyone has their gifts – some students have great voices, some are natural actors, some can do a complex algebraic equation with no effort at all, and some are natural athletes. Recognize your gifts and develop them to their full potential for God's glory!!
We love you! See you at tryouts!!
WCJH Coaching Staff
And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, NKJV
3105 Padua Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711
Phone (909) 624-8291
Fax (909) 621-4506
100 W 9th St.
Upland, California 91786
Phone (909) 920-5858
Fax (909) 985-3449
Upland Campus Preschool 242 West 9th Street
Phone (909) 920-5350
Fax (909) 291-4726